It’s only May and I’m too hot and cranky to cook. Since discovering how good Kelp Noodles are and what an awesome salad I made with them I’ve changed my attitude about summer in one bite. Kelp Noodles require no cooking. This has become my new favourite summer dish.
- One 1 lb of Kelp Noodles (You can find them at most health food stores. If you’re in Toronto, I like the brand from 4 Life Natural Foods)
- 1-2 cups of veggies of your choice (I’ve used local asparagus, bell peppers, green onions)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro (or herb of your choice)
- 1/4 cup of cashews (soaked for a few hours)
- 1.5 tablespoons of lemon
- 1 tablespoon of oil (I used half olive oil and sesame oil)
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Throughly wash the kelp noodles. I use scissors and cut them as I untangled them. Place in water with juice of half a lemon and a tablespoon of salt for at least 3 hours or overnight. This will soften them a bit. They will still have a crunchiness to them, so don’t expect the texture of pasta. (I like their texture, it works well in a salad) For the dressing, using a blender, add all the ingredients until you have a smooth but not too thick consistency. Mix dressing on to noodles and veggies and serve! I could eat the entire plate but served as a side, I feed a party of 7.